For beetroot paste:
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp ginger, crushed
1 green chilli, slit
3/4 cup beetroot, grated
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp water
For the dough:
1 cup wheat flour
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp amchur/dry mango powder
1/4 tsp carom seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp oil
1. Firstly, in a pan heat oil and add crushed ginger and green chilli to it. Saute them for a minute until the raw smell of the ginger goes away.
2. Next, add the grated beetroot and salt. Saute them for a minute or two. Further add water and cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the beetroot is cooked completely.
3. Further cool the mixture and transfer it to a blender. Blend them to a smooth paste. Keep the paste aside.
4. Now, to prepare the dough, in a large bowl, take wheat flour, cumin seeds, garam masala, amchur, carom seeds and salt. Mix them well making sure that all the spices are well combined.
5. Next, add the beetroot paste, finely chopped coriander leaves and oil. Knead to a soft and smooth dough, adding water if required. Grease the dough with 1 tsp oil and allow the dough to rest for 15-20 mins.
6. Further pinch a ball sized dough, roll and flatten it. Dust it with some flour. Roll the dough to a thin circle like a paratha.
7. Next, on a hot tawa, place the rolled paratha and cook for a minute. Flip the paratha when the base is partly cooked. Spread a tsp of oil and flip over again. Spread some oil on the other side too. Flip over until both the sides are properly cooked. Prepare all the parathas in the same way.
8. Finally, serve hot beetroot paratha with coriander chutney or pickle.