Bedmi Poori is a traditional North-Indian style bread made with wheat flour and urad dal. It is enjoyed in breakfast in many states but can also be served as a main course for either lunch or dinner.
Servings:- 4-5 people
Course:- Main Course
1.5 cup atta/wheat flour
1/2 cup rava
1/2 cup urad dal
3-4 dried red chilli
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1.5 tsp cumin seeds
3/4 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp fennel seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
Salt as per taste
Oil for frying
1. First, in a pan dry roast 1/2 cup urad dal for 2-3 mins. Next, add 3-4 dried red chillies and 1.5 tsp cumin seeds. Roast them for a minute and then switch off the flame. Take the ingredients out in a plate and allow them to cool.
2. Now, take the cooled ingredients in a grinder and add 1/2 tsp black pepper powder to it. Grind them to a semi-coarse powder.
3. Further add 3/4 tsp coriander powder, 3/4 tsp fennel seeds, a pinch of asafoetida and salt to the semi-coarse powder. Grind all of them together to a fine powder.
4. Now, in a bowl take 1.5 cup atta/wheat flour and add the finely grounded dal powder to it. Also add 1/2 cup rava and mix them very well. The bedmi poori mix is ready. Store the mix in an air-tight container and use it as required.
5. Now, take a cup of the bedmi poori mix and add 1 tbsp oil to it. Crumble them well with your hands. Next, with warm water knead to a smooth yet stiff dough. Keep the dough aside for 30 mins.
6. Further, after 30 mins prepare small balls from the dough and apply some oil over these balls. Roll the balls to a poori size and keep aside.
7. Now, heat oil in a kadai. When the oil gets hot, drop the poori and allow them to puff up. Fry until the poori turns golden brown from both sides. Drain off the poori in a kitchen paper towel. Fry all the other poori's in the similar way.
8. Finally, serve and enjoy, hot and crispy bedmi poori with aloo ki sabzi.