Peanut Chikki is a traditional Indian sweet recipe made with jaggery and roated peanuts. There are different variants of chikki and can be prepared with sesame seeds and puffed rice.
Now, let me share a few tips and suggestions to make a perfect peanut chikki. First, roast the peanuts well in a kadai before adding them to jaggery syrup. Alternatively, you can roast the peanuts in a microwave. Second, you can use sugar instead of jaggery, however the chikki prepared with jaggery is much more healthier and tastes great. Third, you can additionally add chopped dry fruits, cardamom etc to the chikki to make it more nutritious. Finally, it is advised to use brown jaggery in making chikki as it gives a dark glossy color to the chikki. But the normal light colored jaggery can also be used.
Servings:- 10 pieces
1 cup peanuts
3/4 cup jaggery
1 tbsp water
1. Firstly, in a pan dry roast the peanuts on low flame. Keep stirring continuously so that the peanuts gets roasted uniformly.
2. Once the peanuts start separating from the skin, switch off the flame and allow the peanuts to cool completely. Further peel off the skin and keep them aside.
3. Now, in a kadai take jaggery and add a tbsp of water to it. By keeping the flame on low, keep stirring till the jaggery melts.
4. Further boil the jaggery syrup for 4-5 mins or until they turn glossy and start to thicken. To check the consistency of the syrup, drop little syrup into a bowl of water. If it turns a hard ball and cuts with a snap sound, the consistency is perfect or else boil for a minute or two and check again.
5. Next, turn off the flame and add the roasted peanuts. Mix them well making sure that the jaggery syrup has been coated well.
6. Now, pour the mixture immediately to a tray lined with butter paper. Be quick during this process, else the mixture turns hard and becomes difficult to set.
7. Further spread and pat the mixture with the help of a small cup to smoothen from top. Allow the mixture to cool down for a minute or two and while it is still warm cut them into pieces.
8. Finally, serve peanut chikki when cooled completely. Alternatively, you can also store them in an air-tight container for a month.