Shrikhand is an easy and popular Maharashtrian dessert made from hung/creamy curd. It is generally served as a dessert after lunch or dinner and comes with many flavors like mango, kesar, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry etc.
Now, let me share a few tips and suggestions to make this lip-smacking shrikhand. First, I would personally advise to use homemade curd for making shrikhand as it is fresh, creamy and less sour in taste. Second, you can add in sugar as per your taste. If the curd is sour or you have a sweet tooth, you may add in more sugar. However, it tastes good with less sugar. Third, addition of nuts is completely optional and you may even skip them, however it gives a rich taste to the shrikhand. Finally, shrikhand can be made well ahead in advance and can be used whenever you require it. Make sure you store it in the refrigerator or else it may turn sour.
Servings:- 4 servings
Cuisine:- Maharashtrian, Indian
2 cup curd, homemade
1/3-1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp saffron water
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp almonds, chopped
1 tbsp pistachios, chopped
1. Firstly, in a large bowl, place a sieve and spread a handkerchief or muslin cloth over it. Now, pour in 2 cup of homemade curd. Alternatively, you can also use in the store brought curd.
2. Tie the cloth tightly and allow the curd to rest for 7-8 hours or overnight until the water drops off completely from the curd. Refrigerate the curd so that it does not turn sour.
3. Next day you'll see that the curd turns thick and creamy. Next, take the hung curd in a large bowl and whisk it well.
4. Further add in powdered sugar, saffron water, cardamom powder, chopped almonds and pistachios. Mix them very well making sure that everything is well combined.
5. Finally, garnish the shrikhand with some sliced pistachios and serve them chilled.