Dalia Upma is a healthy breakfast recipe made from broken wheat/dalia. A nutritious upma recipe which can also be served to kids for their lunch box.
Now, let me share a few tips and suggestions to make healthy and nutritious dalia upma. First, make sure to finely chop the vegetables as this would hasten the process of cooking. Also adding vegetables is completely up to your choice and you can add them as per your preference. Second, roast the dalia on low flame until it turns aromatic. Do not brown them as you'll get a burnt flavor taste. Finally, dalia upma can be served as it is, but for better options you can serve them with peanut chutney or kara chutney.
Cuisine:- South-Indian, Indian
4 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal
A few curry leaves, finely chopped
1 dried red chilli
8 whole cashew
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 green chilli, slit
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
1/4 carrot, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp peas
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt as per taste
1 cup dalia/broken wheat
3 cup hot water
1. Firstly, in a large kadai heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, dried red chilli and cashews on medium flame.
2. Next, add finely chopped onions, green chilli and ginger. Saute them for a few seconds. Further add the chopped tomato, carrot and peas. Saute them well.
3. Further add turmeric powder and salt and mix them well. Saute the veggies on medium flame for 2-3 mins. Cover and cook the veggies for 5 mins or until the veggies turn soft.
4. Next, add dalia and roast them on low flame for 5-7 mins or until the dalia turns aromatic. This helps in making soft upma.
5. Further, keeping the flame on low, add the hot water to the roasted dalia and mix them well. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins on high flame.
6. After 2-3 mins, mix them gently making sure that the water has been absorbed completely by the dalia. Further cover and simmer for 2-3 mins so that the dalia upma is cooked well.
7. Finally, serve hot vegetable dalia upma immediately.