Buttermilk Vada is a unique deep-fried snack which is made of poha, rava and buttermilk as the main ingredients. These vadas are more hard and crisp as compared to the medu vada which is soft and crisp. A perfect evening tea-time snack which has a rich flavor and taste.
Now, let me share a few tips and suggestions to make crispy buttermilk vada. First, make sure to soak the poha and rava really well or else the vada would not come out good. Second, try and use sour buttermilk to make the vada, as it gives a rich flavor and taste to the vada. Third, it is not necessary to shape the vada like a doughnut. You can shape the vada as per your preference. Finally, deep fry the vada in medium heat to achieve the crispiness. You can even store these vadas in an air-tight container for 2-3 days.
Servings:- 8 vada
Course:- Breakfast, Snacks
Cuisine:- South-Indian, Indian
1/2 cup poha/flattened rice
1/4 cup rava
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 green chilli, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
A few curry leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp coconut, grated
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 cup rice flour
1. First, rinse poha a couple of times with fresh water. Transfer the rinsed poha to a large bowl and add rava, salt and buttermilk to it. Mix them well and allow them to rest for 15-20 mins or until the buttermilk is absorbed.
2. After 20 mins, add the finely chopped green chilli, ginger paste, chilli flakes, sesame seeds, curry leaves, coriander leaves, coconut and cumin seeds.
3. Squeeze and mix them well making sure that everything is well combined. Next, add rice flour and mix them to form a soft dough.
4. Now, grease your hands with oil and pinch a small ball-sized dough. Flatten them slightly and make a hole in the center. Prepare all the vadas in the same way and keep aside.
5. Further deep fry the vadas in hot oil by keeping the flame on medium. Keep stirring occasionally in between and fry till they turn golden and crisp. Drain them off in a kitchen paper towel to remove excess oil.
6. Finally, serve and enjoy, hot and crispy buttermilk vada with tomato ketchup or coriander chutney.