Vermicelli Cutlet is an ideal attractive party starter snack made with vermicelli coating and potato stuffing. It is often also referred to as a birds nest snack due to its crunchy and spiky texture.
Now, let me share a few tips and suggestions to make this crispy, crunchy vermicelli cutlet. First, make sure to roast the vermicelli before boiling to prevent the vermicelli from turning mushy. Alternatively, you may also use store-bought roasted vermicelli. Second, you can also add vegetables of your choice, such as carrot, beans, peas etc. to this snack to make it a vegetable vermicelli cutlet. Finally, do not use roasted vermicelli for coating, as the vermicelli would be deep-fried along with the cutlet. Also make sure to coat the cutlet with some vermicelli, as it gives a nice crunchy bite.
Servings:- 10 cutlets
Course:- Breakfast, Snacks
For Boiling Vermicelli:
2 tsp oil
1/2 cup vermicelli
3-4 cup water, for boiling
1/2 tsp salt
For Cutlet Mixture:
2-3 tbsp cornflour
2 potato, boiled and mashed
1-2 green chilli, finely chopped
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chaat masala
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2-3 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1. Firstly, in a pan, heat 2 tsp oil and 1/2 cup vermicelli. Roast them on low flame till the vermicelli turns golden brown. Keep aside.
2. Next, in a vessel, take 3-4 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt. Get the solution to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, add in the roasted vermicelli and give them a good stir. Boil them for 2-3 mins or until the vermicelli is cooked well. Drain off the water and let the vermicelli cool completely.
3. Now, transfer the cooled vermicelli to a mixing bowl and add 2-3 tbsp cornflour. Mix them well making sure that all the moisture from the vermicelli is absorbed.
4. Next, add the mashed potato, finely chopped green chilli, chilli flakes, cumin powder, garam masala, chaat masala, breadcrumbs, coriander leaves and salt.
5. Mix all the ingredients well making sure that everything is well combined. Mix them to form a soft, smooth dough.
6. Further grease your hands with some oil and pinch a ball-sized dough. Roll them to a cylindrical shape and keep aside.
7. Now, roll each of the cutlets in vermicelli and deep fry them in hot oil, keeping the flame on medium. Stir the cutlets occasionally and fry them till they turn golden and crisp. Further drain them off in a kitchen paper towel to remove excess oil.
8. Finally, serve hot and crispy vermicelli cutlet with coriander chutney and tamarind chutney.