Chana Dal Vada is a popular South-Indian deep fried snack made with chana dal. It can be eaten as it is or tastes great when eaten with tomato ketchup, coriander chutney or coconut chutney. We used to get these vadas in our hostel and since then has been my personal favorite snack.
Now, let me share a few tips and suggestions to make crunchy chana dal vada. First, do not over soak the chana dal for a longer time, as then the vadas will not turn crunchy. Second, while grinding the chana dal, do not add any amount of water. It has to be dry and coarse, or else the vadas may absorb more oil while frying. Third, I have deep-fried the vada to make it crispy and crunchy. Alternatively, you can also shallow fry or bake the vadas at 180 degree Celsius for 20-25 mins. Finally, these vadas can also be stored in an air-tight container for 2-3 days. So, you can preserve and have them later.
Servings:- 8-10 vada
Cuisine:- South Indian
1 cup chana dal
1 inch ginger, chopped
2 green chilli, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
2 tbsp curry leaves, finely chopped
A pinch of asafoetida
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Firstly, in a large bowl soak the chana dal in enough water for 2 hours. Next, drain off the water and let the chana dal rest for 25-30 mins or until the dal drains off the water completely.
2. Now, transfer the dal to a grinder along with chopped ginger, green chilli and cumin seeds. Blend them to a coarse paste without adding any water.
3. Next, transfer the paste to a large mixing bowl. Further add the chopped coriander leaves, curry leaves, asafoetida, red chilli powder and salt.
4. Squeeze and combine the mixture well. If you feel the dough is watery, then add a tbsp of rice flour. Further grease your hand with oil and prepare small vadas.
5. Further deep fry the vadas in hot oil, stirring occasionally until they turn golden and crisp. Make sure to fry the vadas in medium flame.
6. Finally, serve and enjoy, hot chana dal vada with tomato ketchup and masala chai. Alternatively, you can also store these vadas in an air-tight container for 2-3 days.