1 cup all purpose flour/maida
Salt to taste
3/4 tbsp unsalted butter
Cold water as required
For butter dough:
100 gms butter, cold
3/4 tsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
1/4 cup all purpose flour/maida
3/4 tsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1/4 tsp ginger-garlic paste
0.20 cup peas
0.20 cup beetroot, finely chopped
1/4 carrot, finely chopped
2 beans, finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp amchur
1 small sized potato, boiled and mashed
1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
To make dough:
1. Firstly, in a large mixing bowl take all purpose flour, salt and butter. Crumble the dough well. Further add in cold water as required and knead to a soft and smooth dough.
2. Cover with a moist cloth and allow the dough to rest for 15-20 mins in the refrigerator.
To make butter dough:
1. Firstly, in a mixing bowl grate the cold butter. Make sure that you have cold butter or else the butter might ooze out on rolling.
2. Next, add lemon juice, salt and all purpose flour. Mix and combine all the ingredients well. Allow them to rest for 15 mins in the freezer.
To make stuffing:
1. Firstly, in a large kadai, heat oil and splutter cumin seeds. Next, add chopped onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chilli. Saute them till the onions turn translucent.
2. Next, add in all the mixed vegetables like peas, beans, beetroot and carrot. Add in some salt. Saute them for 2-3 mins. Further cover and cook the vegetables for 10 mins or until the vegetables get cooked completely.
3. Next, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and amchur. Saute till they turn aromatic. Further add the boiled and mashed potato and mix them well. Lastly, add coriander leaves and give it a light mix. The stuffing is ready. Allow the stuffing to cool and keep it aside.
To make puff pastry sheets:
1. Firstly, take the kneaded dough out from the fridge and knead slightly. Dust with maida and roll them gently to half cm thick.
2. Next, make a block of the prepared butter dough and place them in the center. Wrap the maida dough from all four sides.
3. Place the wrapped dough in a tray and cling wrap it. Allow them to rest in the freezer for 15 mins.
4. After 15 mins, dust the dough with maida. Press and flatten the dough with a rolling pin. Roll them gently, dusting maida if required.
5. Further fold the flattened dough into 2 folds, dusting off the excess dry maida. Cling wrap and rest the dough for 15 mins in the freezer.
6. Repeat step 4 and step 5 for 6 times.
To make veg puffs:
1. Firstly, take the pastry sheet and cut half. Reserve the other half in the freezer for later use. Roll the dough to a thin and uniform sheet.
2. Trim off the sides and cut the flattened sheet to rectangular pieces. Place a tbsp of the stuffing in the centre of each sheet and fold them half. Press and seal the sides. Prepare all the puffs in the similar way.
3. Now, place the puffs in the baking tray. Brush the puffs with butter to get golden color. Bake the puffs in preheated oven at 200 degree Celsius for 35-40 mins. Since the oven temperature vary, do keep a check while baking veg puff.
4. Finally, serve veg puffs or veg patties with tomato sauce and tomato soup.