1/2 cup dry coconut/dessicated coconut
1/3 cup powdered sugar
4 cashews, chopped
6 raisins, chopped
4 almonds, chopped
4 pistachios, chopped
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
3/4 cup all purpose flour/maida
Salt to taste
2 tbsp ghee, hot
1/3 cup warm milk
To make karanji stuffing:
1. Firstly, in a mixing bowl, take dry coconut. Next, add the powdered sugar to it. Add in sugar depending on the sweetness you prefer. So, you can add between 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar.
2. Further add the chopped dry fruits like cashews, raisins, almonds and pistachios. You can add in any dry fruits of your choice.
3. Lastly, add the cardamom powder and mix them well. Hence, the karanji stuffing is ready. Keep the stuffing aside.
To make karanji dough:
1. Firstly, in a large mixing bowl, take all purpose flour and salt. Next, pour in sizzling hot ghee over the maida. This helps in making the karanji crispy and oil free.
2. Further crumble the dough well between your hands. Now, add milk little by little and begin to knead the dough. Knead to a soft and non-sticky dough.
3. Cover the dough with a moist cloth for 20-30 mins and keep aside.
To make karanji:
1. After 30 mins, pinch a small ball sized dough and roll it to a ball. Now, with the help of a rolling pin, roll them to medium thick puris.
2. Now, grease the gujiya/karanji mould and place the flattened dough on it. Place a tbsp of the karanji stuffing in the center. Grease with some water on the edges of the puri that fits in the dough.
3. Now, carefully close the mould and press the edges together, so that they form a seal. Remove the excess dough from the outside edges of the mould. Open the mould carefully and set the karanji aside. Prepare all the karanjis in the same way.
4. Further, deep fry the karanjis in medium hot oil in low-medium flame. Stir occasionally in between until the karanjis turn golden brown. Drain them off in a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
5. Finally, hot and crispy karanjis are ready to be served. Cool them completely and store them in an airtight container for a week.