1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp salt
Water as required to knead
3/4 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated cabbage
1 inch grated ginger
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
For red chilli chutney:
2 medium sized tomatoes
6-7 dried red chillies
Salt to taste
To make momos:
1. Firstly, in a large mixing bowl, take all purpose flour, oil and salt and mix them. Now, add water in parts and knead to a smooth and firm dough. Keep the dough aside for 30 mins.
2. Finely chop the onions and keep aside. Grate the cabbage and sprinkle some salt over it and keep it aside for 5 mins. Till then grate the ginger and keep aside.
3. Squeeze off all the water from the cabbage and then put the squeezed cabbage in a mixing bowl. To it add the chopped onions, grated ginger, salt and oil. Do not add oil in excess as we just need a glossy texture. Give them a mix.
4. Now, knead the dough for a minute and make small balls from the dough. Take each ball on a lightly dusted board and roll each ball to a thin circle of about 2-3 inches.
5. Now place about 1 tsp of the vegetable stuffing in the center. Lift one side of the edge and start folding and forming the pleats one by one till the end. Lightly give them the shape of half a moon. Prepare all the momos in this manner and keep them on a newspaper or a moist napkin.
6. Heat water in a steamer. Grease a steamer pan and place the momos keeping some space in between each momos.
7. Steam the momos for 8-10 mins. You can check the doneness of the momos by touching the momos. If on touching the momos the dough does not stick your hands, that means the momos are ready. The momos turn slight transparent once cooked.
8. Finally, serve hot and steamed veg momos with red chilli chutney.
To make red chilli chutney:
1. Firstly, boil water in a pan. To it add the tomatoes and red chillies. Boil them until the skin of the tomatoes comes out. Switch off the flame. Place the tomatoes in ice water to stop cooking further from within.
2. On cooling, transfer the tomatoes and red chillies to a blender and blend them to a smooth paste without any addition of water. Add salt and mix them well.
3. Your red chilli chutney is ready.
4. Do take a note that you can adjust the spicy level as per your preference.