For khaman dhokla batter:
1.5 cups gram flour
1 tbsp rava
A pinch of turmeric powder
1.5 tbsp eno or 3/4 tsp baking soda
Salt as required
1 tsp lemon juice
Water as required
2 tbsp oil
1/3 cup water
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
10-12 curry leaves
1 green chilli, chopped
2 tsp sugar
Making khaman dhokla:
1. In a mixing bowl, take gram flour. Add in turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice. Avoid adding too much of turmeric powder, as the eno or baking soda will react with the turmeric powder and make it red in color.
2. Add in water as required to make a thick yet flowing batter. Now add rava to it. Stir them very well to a smooth thick batter without any lumps. Keep the batter aside for 10 mins.
3. If the batter becomes too thin, then add some rava to it. Now, in a steamer pan bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Adjust the amount of water in the steamer according to its size.
4. Now, add eno to the batter. Begin to stir the eno with the batter quickly. The batter will froth and become bubbly, so be quick in mixing.
5. Grease a steamer pan. Pour the dhokla batter in the greased pan. Gently shake the pan, so that the batter evens out in the pan.
6. Place the steamer pan in a steamer. Cover it with a lid and cook for 15-20 mins. To check the doneness of the dhokla, insert a toothpick and check it. If the dhokla does not stick to the toothpick that means the dhokla is cooked or else cook again for 4-5 mins.
7. When the dhokla becomes warm, slowly take the dhokla out from the pan by inverting it on a plate. Slice the dhokla and keep aside.
Tempering khaman dhokla:
1. In a small pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds to the oil and allow them to crackle.
2. Next add in the curry leaves and chopped green chilli. Stir them. Add sesame seeds to it. Fry till the sesame seeds slightly changes its color.
3. Now, add water to it. Be careful, as on adding water, the mixture sizzles. Add sugar to it. Stir and allow the tempering mixture to come to a boil.
4. Pour this tempering mixture evenly on the khaman dhokla and let the tempering mixture seep in through the sliced edges.
5. Garnish the khaman dhokla with some chopped coriander leaves.
6. Serve the khaman dhokla right away with tamarind chutney.