5 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4th cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp cold milk
A pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10 mins.
2. In a large mixing bowl take butter and sugar. Beat it in one direction for 5 mins. Add in the vanilla essence and mix it well.
3. Add in all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt and baking powder and mix it well till it forms a dough. (Do not add salt if you are using salted butter). Add 1 or 2 tbsps of cold milk if required to form a dough.
4. Roughly divide the dough into two halves. Keep one half aside. To the other half, add cocoa powder and a few drops of cold milk to make a smooth dough.
5. Now, you have got two rounds of dough, one white and one brown.
6. Divide each dough into two logs, so as to get two white and two brown logs.
7. Join one white log with one brown log and roll them both to form a log. It is not necessary that the white and brown parts are exactly half and half. Make sure that each log contains some white and some brown.
8. Refrigerate the logs for 10 mins.
9. Once the logs are out, with the help of a cookie cutter, slice the cookies to your desired shape.
10. Place each slice on the greased baking tray leaving some space between each cookie.
11. Bake at 180 degree Celsius for 15-20 mins or till the white part slightly changes its color. Initially the cookies will be very soft, but they turn crunchy and crispy once cooled.
12. You can have these cookies with morning or evening tea. These cookies can also be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks